Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] "Can't read socket" error on client

2005-03-12 13:05:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] "Can't read socket" error on client
From: Bobby.Williams AT gtsi DOT com (Bobby Williams)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:05:54 -0500
Master is Solaris 8 NB 4.5FP6

I have several Windows (Win2K and NT 4.0) clients that are being backed up
successfully.  However, when they go into the console on the client to view
there backups, they get "Can't read socket" error.  We updated the clients to
the latest 4.5 release but the error is still there.

I can push restores from the master with no problem.  Using bpclntcmd with any
options works correctly from the client.  No errors on backups or restores.  It
is getting to be a pain when we get paged in the night just to do a restore for
a file.

They would also like to check their own backup status (instead of asking me
every morning).

I don't really know which log to turn on for the client to help identify the
problem.

Any ideas?

Bobby Williams
Sr. Systems Engineer