Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows open file backup problem with VSP.

2005-03-10 17:28:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows open file backup problem with VSP.
From: LuptonD AT starcity.com DOT au (Daniel Lupton)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:28:53 +1100
Hi,

I have had similar issues and most of the reasons is due to a lack of free
space on the server for the snapshot to be stored.
To resolved it I:
   Reduced the space available for the snapshot manually
   increased the amount of free space on the drive
   specified a drive with more space to store the snapshot.
   Checked the drives for the old snapshots and removed them to free up
   some space.

 Since I have customised these I have not had any snapshot errors, however
it has only been 1 month!

Regards,
Daniel Lupton
|  Daniel Lupton | Enterprise Systems and Security Administrator | Tabcorp |
|      Technical Services - Star City | Email: LuptonD AT starcity.com DOT au

|                       Ext: 7651 | Phone: 9657 7651                       |
|              80 Pyrmont Street, Pyrmont, NSW 2009, Australia             |
|                            Star City | Tabcorp                           |

             Louis-Luc Le
             Guerrier
             <[email protected]                                          To
             anr.hydro.qc.ca>          veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

             veritas-bu-admin@
             mailman.eng.aubur                                     Subject
             n.edu                     [Veritas-bu] Windows open file
                                       backup problem with VSP.

             11/03/2005 09:00
             AM

             Please respond to
               Louis-Luc Le
                 Guerrier
             <[email protected]
             anr.hydro.qc.ca>

Hello,
I'm running NB5.1 on a Solaris 9 V240 master server.
I have several Windows 2000 clients, and on some of them,
randomly, the VSP feature (to be able to back up open
files) fails and the backup proceeds and skips all open
files.
It may run OK for some machines, during certain amounts of
time, but sometimes it fails several nights in a row,
preventing a backup of open files night after night, until
luckily it works OK once.

I'm investigating on this problem for maybe 1 year, and I
may have posted here in the early days, but now this is
being more critical.

Most of the files are .PST (outlook) files that users always
keep open. If VSP can't back them up properly, how could I
back them up?

Has anyone had the same problem? And if so, how did you
solve it.

Thanks for any help.
Louis-Luc

This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed
and is not intended to be relied upon by any other person. Accordingly,
Star City disclaims all responsibility and accepts no liability (including
in negligence) for the consequences for any other person acting, or
refraining from acting, on such information prior to the receipt by those
persons of subsequent written confirmation.

If you have received this document in error, please notify our Helpdesk
immediately by telephone on 61 2 9657 9797. Please also destroy and delete
the document from your computer.

Copyright Star City Pty Ltd. Any form of reproduction, dissemination,
copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this
document and its contents is strictly prohibited.