Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up EMC symmetrix

2005-02-22 09:19:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up EMC symmetrix
From: WBedour AT lear DOT com (BeDour, Wayne)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:19:47 -0500
We are currently running NetBackup 5.1 with 1 master server and 1 media
server both running HP-UX 11i.  We have on 30 + HP-UX 11i HP servers with a
few SUN and Windows boxes thrown in for good measure.  We have the majority
of our HP systems on our EMC frame.  The model we chose early on was
basically triple mirror everything (databases and applications) with the bcv
being the 3rd mirror.  We sync the bcv with the standards quiet the
databases, split the mirror (bcv's) and then mount the bcv's to our media
server.  We do this between midnight and 2am every night, the moving bcv's
around usually only takes an hour.  We now have a copy of most everything
that can be backed up to tape during the next 22 hours.  If a restore is
needed from yesterday's data, it is on disk and we just copy it from the
bcv's.  If one of the backups from the bcv's fail we just restart it.
During the midnight to 2am window when we are moving the bcv's around I also
do my NetBackup catalog backup as most everything is quiet then.  We still
do our unix system file backups over the network.
My disclaimer:
This is what we do at our site, it works for us, take it at that.  I know
the EMC Symmetric disk are pricy but from what we found you get what you pay
for.  There is always a cheaper way to do the same thing, from previous use
of cheap disk and the problems related to them we chose the EMC route.

Wayne BeDour
IT Unix System Administrator
PH: 313-240-3374  FAX:  313-240-3065
Internet:  wbedour AT lear DOT com