Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Gigabit performance

2005-02-14 04:27:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Gigabit performance
From: x0nprash AT india.ti DOT com (Prashanth N)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:57:43 +0530
--------------050104030201070104020301

As Dale suggested,
enable Jumbo frames on the interface and set the MTU size to 9000. THIS
SHOULD GIVE you better performance

Thank you
Prashanth

Dale King wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 04:44:19PM -0500, Mosseveld, Adriaan wrote:
>

>>Our Netbackup infrastructure is based around an E450 with gigabit
>>connectivity.
>>
>>For some reason, it is impossible for us to get a throughput on the (ge)
>>Gigabit card of greater than 10Mb/sec. We have tried a direct connection
>>between the server and an E220R with a ce gigaswift card, with exactly the
>>same results (therefore ruling out the switch).
>>
>>We have tried using Netbackup, ftp, dd (with remote shell), but all showed a
>>similar throughput.
>>

>I think you need to look at tuning your TCP stack.  Look at your OS
>documentation for how to change your TCP send and receive buffers.  Also
>if your switches can support jumbo frames try turning that on.
>
>A quick google search for gigabit ethernet tuning should turn up some
>useful information.
>
>Regards,
>Dale

--------------050104030201070104020301

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
As Dale suggested,<br>
enable Jumbo frames on the interface and set the MTU size to 9000. THIS
SHOULD GIVE you better performance<br>
Thank you<br>
Prashanth<br>
Dale King wrote:
  <pre wrap="">On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 04:44:19PM -0500, Mosseveld, Adriaan
    <pre wrap="">Our Netbackup infrastructure is based around an E450 with
gigabit
connectivity.

For some reason, it is impossible for us to get a throughput on the (ge)
Gigabit card of greater than 10Mb/sec. We have tried a direct connection
between the server and an E220R with a ce gigaswift card, with exactly the
same results (therefore ruling out the switch).

We have tried using Netbackup, ftp, dd (with remote shell), but all showed a
similar throughput.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->