Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] network connection timed out(41)

2005-02-09 14:15:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] network connection timed out(41)
From: wtsmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:15:26 -0500
Paul Keating wrote, in part,  on 2/9/2005 11:25 AM:

> Is there any reccommendation for NICs that do not have forced modes
> for GigE?
>
> my PC servers are only
> 10HD
> 10FD
> 100HD
> 100FD
> Auto/Auto.
>
> Auto/Auto negotiates to GigE on switch ports that are forced 1000FD,
> but I haven't found a way to force the NIC to 1000FD, so right now all
> windows server NICs are set to Auto/Auto, and their switch ports are
> set to 1000FD

We've found that auto/auto is fine for 1000FD ... but never for 100

> Do you guys work in environments where you actually have access to
> switches and servers?
> My environment is *tight* in that respect.....I have to get network to
> check switches, Windows admins to check Windows servers, Unix admins
> to check solaris boxes.....All I have "FULL" access to is the backup
> infrastructure.

I have a good working relationship with the people that own the switches
and servers, but no direct access ... and that's fine with me!

Of course, the server owners want good, reliable backups and the switch
owners don't want me on their doorstep every other day shooting
problems, so things work out pretty well!  :-)

cheers, wayne