Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB 4.5, VCS nodes, and Oracle BLIBs

2005-02-07 12:45:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB 4.5, VCS nodes, and Oracle BLIBs
From: David Magda <dmagda+vertbu AT ee.ryerson DOT ca> (David Magda)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:45:19 -0500
Hello,

We have a couple of Oracle databases that are managed through Veritas
VCS (running on VxFS, VxVM, and a SAN). The Oracle instance is always
running on all of the DB servers in the cluster, but a specific
database can be moved from host to host. Connections to a particular
listener from the outside is taken care of through "virtual IPs".

We are running NetBackup 4.5, NetBackup for Oracle+ (VRTSnbora)
on Solaris 8 machines.

Currently we have a policy (full and incremental) for each database,
and the host that the database that it currently resides on is the
sole client in that policy. If we move a database from one host to
another (or it fails over) we have to remember to manually change the
policy profile to use the new host.

We are using BLIBs and vxdba to create a snapshot of the database to
minimize the amount of downtime: quiesce the DB, take snapshot,
re-enable DB, do a backup, delete snapshot.

Is there any way (either using BLIBs or other ways) to have all the
hosts that are in the cluster in the client list so that the
database(s) are backed up regardless of which hosts they're currently
on?

In the file list we have /u[02-19]/oradata/SOMEDB/ listed: on the
active host the directories and database files would be backed up, on
the non-active hosts the empty directories / mount-points would be
backed up. (Taking up little / no space on the tape.)

Is this possible? Is this the correct mailing list, or should I go
else where?

Thanks for any info.

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/