Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk Staging & Storage Unit Groups

2005-02-02 22:14:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk Staging & Storage Unit Groups
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman (home))
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:14:06 -0600
A couple comments to add to this thread:

Ebon: "NetBackup is not smart enough to use a different disk storage
unit when a DSU fills up"
Rumor has it, the next version (6.0?) of NBU will properly handle this
situation.

====

Paul: "It is a good idea to have fulls and incrementals go to different
DSU's"
Your example below (with the DSSU filling up on a 50GB backup, then
only cleaning up two incremental backups...) implies that the DSSU
cleanup behavior can only happen ONCE during a backup job.  This is not
the case.  If a backup to a DSSU encounters a diskfull error, the
following results:
    (1) pause the backup
    (2) expire up to two [this number was recently upped to ten] of the
oldest images that have been duped to tape
    (2a) if there are no images to expire in (2), fail the backup with
an 84
    (3) resume the backup;  if another diskfull condition occurs, see
step (1)

That said, I still agree that a separate DSSU for incrementals vs fulls
is a good idea - if a big full backup has to keep pausing while NBU
expires the much smaller incremental images, performance might take a
noticeable hit.

But please keep in mind that those separate DSSU's should be on
separate filesystems/partitions!

HTH
rob