Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backing up LARGE oracle databases (looking for sugges tions)

2005-01-28 12:54:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backing up LARGE oracle databases (looking for sugges tions)
From: MDobbertien AT tribune DOT com (Dobbertien, Matthew)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:54:06 -0600
We have considered and are still considering both of these
possibilities.  The problem with licensing them as SAN media servers is
that we must purchase Netbackup SAN Media server licenses at the highest
tier level (for the 15k) and we introduce another level of complexity to
Netbackup maintenance.  Instead of merely having to find a window to
make changes in the backup system, we would now need to find a window
which would accommodate both the backup system and the host system.  As
backups generally run when the system is not running, this becomes very
difficult.

Snapshots are a possibility, but this doesn't address restore speeds.
We are still limited on restores to the speed of the network device
(when restoring to the original host).  Additionally, since we have
Clariion arrays on the back end, there is no integration available with
Netbackup.  We have tried some homegrown scripting, but that isn't
something we want to be responsible for supporting.

Matthew Dobbertien
Sr. Systems Analyst
Chicago Tribune