Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] A Storage Migrator (aka HSM) issue

2005-01-26 13:56:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] A Storage Migrator (aka HSM) issue
From: Jeffrey_Dykzeul AT raytheon DOT com (Jeffrey Dykzeul)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:56:37 -0800
One of the volumes is id 000114, in pool number 2 with a status value of
0x2. I tried the following command

      vmquery   -deassignbyid  000114  2  0x2

But got a failure message saying that the volume was already assigned. So I
tried

      vmquery   -deassignbyid  000114  2  2

And that worked. Then I was able to delete the volume.

Thanks very much!

Jeff Dykzeul
Raytheon Space & Airborne Systems

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           Darren Dunham               |
|         |           <ddunham AT taos DOT com>          |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng|
|         |           .auburn.edu                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           01/26/2005 09:13 AM         |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->

  |        To:      Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                                        |
  |        cc:
                                 |
  |        Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] A Storage Migrator  (aka HSM) issue

> We kept a set of the HSM tape volumes on the shelf "just in case", but
> their time has passed and we want to recycle them. They show up in the
> Media Manager display and I try to delete them as the first step towards
> recycling, but I can't because they are "assigned". So them I try to
> deassign them with the shell command
>
>       bpexpdate  -d 0  -ev <barcode>
>
> But I get a message that says
>
>       requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM
> volume database
>
> Yet they DO show up in the MM display.

Right.  In this case it's the "or".  They're not "netbackup" tapes, so
they're not in the NB media database, so they can't be "expired" (which
is a netbackup concept).

> I'm thinking that I can't use
> bpexpdate to deassign them because they have a status value of "0x2",
which
> indicates that they are "Storage Migrator" (aka HSM) volumes. The Media
> Manager manual indicates that such volumes must be deassigned by the
> Storage Migrator application. Ugh - we removed the application from the
> server!

Then you can use vmquery -deassignbyid to deassign them.