Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Too many small files in filesystem

2005-01-24 17:54:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Too many small files in filesystem
From: Kyle.Oconnor AT persnet.Navy DOT Mil (O'Connor, Kyle (Contractor))
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:54:54 -0500
All,

I have NBU 4.5 running on AIX 5.2.  We have 27 filesystems sized at 200G.
The files stored within these f/s are on average 120K.  That is, there is
@1.8 million files within each filesystem.  The backups policy is running
mpx with 4 streams going to each tape drive ( 8 LTO drives total ).  The
backups are completing in about 16 hours.  I think the reduction of the
filesystems to 50G ( < 500K files per f/s ) might help to improve
performance. Has anyone else experienced this degradation of performance
with many small files within a f/s, and if so, how did you resolve the
issue.  Please give specifics for average file size, f/s sizing and
performance improvements.

Thanks,
Kyle