Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Is it really worth it (was exclude core file name)?

2005-01-24 11:05:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Is it really worth it (was exclude core file name)?
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:05:13 -0800 (PST)
>       Not trying to start a flame but is it really worthwhile excluding
> (e.g. core files) in terms of:
>
> a)    The admin time to choose which files to exclude
> b)    Setting up the e/list
> c)    Publishing the list as suggested
> d)    Maintaining ditto
>
> Compared with not being able to restore files ('cos they weren't backed
> up!)? In other words, what fraction of total tape use is saved by doing
> things like this? Or, put another way: how many admin hours (i.e. $$) is a
> chunk of tape worth?

However, for "core" in particular, no I've never worked at a place where
they were a problem enough to worry about.

I would assume that if they were already in the default exclude list
that I've let them stay.  I probably wasn't considering the chance that
it might collide with a useful file or directory.