Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tier_1 vs Tier_2

2005-01-19 12:29:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tier_1 vs Tier_2
From: joe AT joe DOT net (Johnny Oestergaard)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:29:43 +0100
--=====================_4903671==_.ALT

I have the same at our installation.

We are a Windows only shop, and the info I got on this was something like:

Tier 1  - 1 cpu server
Tier 2  - 2 cpu server
Tier 3  - 4 cpu server
Tier 4  - 8 cpu server

But since we have never had anything but 2 and 4 cpu servers for the last 4
years (we moved to NBU 4 years ago) I think that we got all the Tier 1
licenses for our servers to make the offer we got for NBU fit into the
budget I had.

But the info I have received on this subject has changed as many times as I
have asked. Both when I ask the company we got the licenses from (in our
case StorageTek) and directly to our accountmanager at Veritas.

Basicly I just play with "open cards" to both StorageTek and Veritas and
what I do with the licenses and since none of them have complained I don't
care.

It's a little like with licenses from Microsoft. It's difficult to live up
to the licenspolicies if the vendor can't explain you what their
licenspolicy is.

/johnny

At 12:03 19-01-2005 -0500, Stump, Robert (Contractor) (J6B) wrote:

>I am reviewing site licenses and noticed that I have some Tier_1 and Tier_2.
>I also have some licenses that do not have a Tier defined. Which tier
>would they be?
>What is the difference between Tier_1 and Tier_2 for VERITAS NetBackup
>
>And..
>Yes I am trying to contact my VERITAS sale representative but I thought
>this community would be faster.

--=====================_4903671==_.ALT

I have the same at our installation.<br><br>
We are a Windows only shop, and the info I got on this was something
like:<br><br>
Tier 1<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>- 1 cpu server<br>
Tier 2<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>- 2 cpu server<br>
Tier 3<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>- 4 cpu server<br>
Tier 4<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>- 8 cpu server<br><br>
But since we have never had anything but 2 and 4 cpu servers for the last
4 years (we moved to NBU 4 years ago) I think that we got all the Tier 1
licenses for our servers to make the offer we got for NBU fit into the
budget I had.<br><br>
But the info I have received on this subject has changed as many times as
I have asked. Both when I ask the company we got the licenses from (in
our case StorageTek) and directly to our accountmanager at
Veritas.<br><br>
Basicly I just play with &quot;open cards&quot; to both StorageTek and
Veritas and what I do with the licenses and since none of them have
complained I don't care.<br><br>
It's a little like with licenses from Microsoft. It's difficult to live
up to the licenspolicies if the vendor can't explain you what their
licenspolicy is.<br><br>
/johnny<br><br>
At 12:03 19-01-2005 -0500, Stump, Robert (Contractor) (J6B)
wrote:<br><br>
am reviewing site licenses and noticed that I have some Tier_1 and
Tier_2.</font> <br>
not have a Tier defined. Which tier would they be?</font> <br>
VERITAS sale representative but I thought this community would be