Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup retention Standards?

2005-01-11 12:50:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup retention Standards?
From: David_Cornely AT intuit DOT com (Cornely, David)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:50:33 -0800

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4F806.0C707D8C

This is such a hard question to answer.

I do think there are some generalized best practices when it comes to
retention policies.  We've done some research here and found that a good
number of companies don't keep data for longer than 3 months (this does NOT
apply to archives).  You'll need to take this information (maybe research a
little on your own) and really apply it to your own environment, weighing
factors like legal requirements, cost of tape for longer retention.  This
will help you make a case for reasonable retention levels because if you
leave it up to the business units they'll say keep the data forever, which
is obviously not an option.