Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Dedicated NIC for network backups

2005-01-05 16:25:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Dedicated NIC for network backups
From: Malachi_McCabe AT newport-news DOT com (Malachi_McCabe AT newport-news DOT com)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:25:09 -0500
Hello all,

I have a Solaris server (We'll call it Bob) with two NICs, one for
production/user data, and another one that is solely dedicated to providing
a pipe for data backups and restores.  The server is running the NB4.5_FP6
client, while the Master is running NB5.0_MP3.  I have the client
properties identified on the Master so that it is still named Bob, but is
pointing to the IP address of the second NIC.  Backups and restores run
fine, and without complaint, as expected, because NB obediently uses the IP
address I gave it.

That being said, here is the issue:  When I check my problem log, I find
that it is filled with reverse lookup (gethostbyaddr) errors.  It seems
that, for some reason, NB performs a forward DNS lookup on Bob, establishes
the IP address according to DNS, and is then trying to re-verify with these
reverse lookups - And it does it twice every ten minutes.  This
verification process seems to be completely independent of any
backup/restore jobs, so it isn't causing any issues other than filling up
my log.

So, is there any way I can keep the client name of Bob in my policy, or am
I going to have to create another DNS entry with a different name for this
second NIC, and then clone the Bob policy with the new name to make NB
happy?  Or, is there a way to disable this constant communication check?

Thanks in advance,

      Malachi

# This email and all files transmitted with it are confidential and      #
# intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they   #
# are addressed.                                                         #
# This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and       #
# cleared by NetIQ MailMarshal.                                          #
# System Administrator                                                   #
# postmaster AT spiegel DOT com
#