Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB51 catalog backup ignoring selective file path list?

2004-12-30 18:22:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB51 catalog backup ignoring selective file path list?
From: steven.green AT teldta DOT com (Green, Steven)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:22:47 -0600
We just upgraded our NB master and media servers from NB Datacenter 4.5/FP5
to Enterprise server 5.1/MP1. Since the upgrade I have noticed that our
catalog backups are taking about 1.5 hours to complete instead of the ~3
minutes they previously took. Our master and media servers are all Solaris 8
with LTO2 drives. We have the catalog backup process setup to use the
multi-tape configuration as described in the NB45 SysAdmin guide. Under this
scheme the actual catalog (bpbackupdb) backup step should *only* backup the
master server images from the catalog image DB path (along with the other
usual paths from the master and media servers). In the admin log of the
target media server I can see each of the paths that are configured (see
below) listed in the logs. However, using the Solaris "truss" command to
trace I/O of the bpbackupdb PIDs I can clearly see where it is traversing
the entire /opt/../db/images directory tree while running. I've included a
portion of the bpsyncinfo output to show the paths selected in the
configured catalog backup process. (We use the exact same config for the
vault, or offsite, catalog too.)

Bpsyncinfo output:

 Paths Included:
    "wawifs10.suttlestraus.tdsgroup.net:c:\Program
Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db"
    <. . . Deleted lines. . .>
    taz:/opt/openv/netbackup/db/images/taz
    taz:/opt/openv/netbackup/db/[A-Za-hj-z]*
    taz:/opt/openv/netbackup/bp.conf
    taz:/opt/openv/volmgr/database
    taz:/opt/openv/volmgr/vm.conf
    taz:/opt/openv/var

Anyone on the list ever noticed this behavior under 5.1? I have a case
opened to Veritas on the issue but have not spoke to a tech as yet.

Thanks in advance...

#!/usr/steve green :: TDS storage admin :: 608.664.8210 (desk) ::
608.219.2106 (cell)
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.  A.
Einstein