Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] unsubscribe

2004-12-16 10:01:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] unsubscribe
From: kkeithan AT lccc DOT edu (Kevin Keithan)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:01:45 -0500
unsubscribe

>>> "Hardy, Andrew" <Andrew.Hardy AT marks-and-spencer DOT com> 09/15/04
>>> 06:04AM >>>
All,

Many thanks to the following people for all their various suggestions on
how to do this:

Kev Smith
Nigel Stevenson
Melinda Orms
Deb Sweeney
Martin Falk
Tim Hoke

After looking at all the suggestions, I decided to delete the drive from
the GUI & then re-add it. (Reference technote 259835)
However, when I did this, an entry in the globdb still showed one entry
for the old tape drive serial number, but it was not assigned to a drive
name or host !?  Therefore it could not be deleted !
What I then found, was that the GUI complained of drive mis-matches, due
to this rogue serial number entry.
After much messing around, this was eventually fixed by firstly deleting
the globdb on the master server & then on each of my 20 media servers.
I then restarted the NBU services on one media server at a time, ensured
that a new globdb had been created, resynced the media server to the
master & then checked the master server's globdb from the command line,
to ensure that the old serial number was not being re-introduced.
Another thing that I found when doing this, was that the device driver
for the tape drive in question, was becoming detached from some of the
media servers, which then had to be re-installed ?!

I understand that version 5.x has added functionality with reference to
changing serial numbers within NBU, but whilst we are still on 4.5, I
think that in future, I would recommend a step by step approach to
making changes to NBU, if a tape drive has been swapped.

Regards

Andy Hardy