Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fun One, bpmedialist and bpimmedia don't match

2004-12-14 11:32:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fun One, bpmedialist and bpimmedia don't match
From: tlewick AT hrblock DOT com (Lewick, Taylor)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:32:20 -0600
Hi all, I am having the following issue on a couple of tapes that we had
backed up with a 7 year retention and brought back onsite.

When I do a bpimmedia -mediaid HH0236 -U
I see that the image information is fine and dandy.
I see that there are 3 images that are set to expire in 2010.

However, when I do a bpmedialist -ev HH0236 -mcontents -U
I see only images that have long since expired.

So the tape has nothing valid on it.  My question is, any idea why the
NetBackup database thinks there is a valid image on this tape?

My suspicion, and something that I have seen in the past (although not
often) is that I think that this tape, lets call it tape B was part of a
backup that would have spanned several tapes, and the backup failed
later, like when it was on tape C or D.  So the tape has no valid info
on it, but the NetBackup images database wasn't updated with this info,
and vault marked this tape as A-Okay to go offsite.

The reason I suspect this, is I don't know how to prove it as it
happened a while back and I don't have any way of verifying if the
backup job actually failed.  Recently I have been tracking all jobs in a
mysql database, but this occurred before I began tracking these jobs.

Has anyone seen a similar issue, or have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Taylor