Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] unable to allocate new media for backup

2004-12-08 11:19:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] unable to allocate new media for backup
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:19:50 -0800 (PST)

>  Never ever trust available_media its never correct for 3.4.1 or 4.5(mp6)
> its so far off it makes me sick! I show many tapes as DB tapes that were
> never DB tapes and are written on current active - Maybe it's my upgrade
> from 3.4.1 to 4.5(mp6) - same bot same 2003 master same media server
> ljcisvrts name?

Since way back in the 3.2 (or earlier) timeframe, Veritas has had a
technote out on a patch to available_media.  In large environments,
without the patch you get too many tapes appearing as DBBACKUP.

However it's just a technote.  They've never incorporated that patch
into the actual distributed code.  So if you've ever applied it, it
disappears when you upgrade.

An alternative rewrite of avaiable_media was posted on this list a few
weeks ago, also.