Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Trying client install over ssh. Very odd behaviour

2004-12-02 12:20:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Trying client install over ssh. Very odd behaviour
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:20:32 +0000
Has anyone here installed client software using ssh instead of rsh for
remote installs?

Im running Solaris 9 and using netbackup 5.

I have keys set up from root so no password auth is needed. This works fine

I first tried linking rsh and rcp to ssh but that didnt seem to work
ending with server/hostname not found. The same command with ssh worked
fine.

So i edited /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Solaris/Solaris9/install_client
and replaced the RSH and RCP sections with RSH=/usr/bin/ssh and
RCP=/usr/bin/scp

Something started happening as the directories were created on the
remote client, but things just hung and stuck there.

 From this i decided to run the install_client_files script manually
from command line like this :-

cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin
./install_client_files rsh <client name>

As id edited the install_client script to have a 'set -x' line at the
top i can see all the output scrolling and the scp calls working and
everything. Then things just stop...and wait.

Going on to the client i see loads and loads of ssh processes and when i
tried killing 1 off the job moved a step along. I tried killing another
ssh process on the client and then the server script had a connection
lost, and still hung. Obviously killing processes isnt the way forward.

Has anyone had this type of things before? Im assuming there are too
many ssh processes and so why are they not exiting when the scp or ssh
command from install_clients as finished?

Help please. I have lots of clients to install and rsh is not allowed
through the firewall correctly so, so i need to get this remote setup
working over ssh.

Thanks
Dave