Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Can I change client types globally on a Master Server?

2004-12-03 23:56:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Can I change client types globally on a Master Server?
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 22:56:13 -0600
--VMt1DrMGOVs3KQwf

* Bobby Williams <Bobby.Williams AT gtsi DOT com> [2004-12-03 16:49]:
> Master servers are all Solaris 2.8 running NB4.5MP6.
>=20
> I have several Master Servers (geographically separated) that have
> multiple policies on it.  Some of the Clients have had OS upgrades
> (Solaris upgrades and NT to W2K upgrades).
>=20
> When I try to push out new software to update the clients, I am getting
> errors because they are defined by system/OS type in the multiple
> policies. =20
>=20
> If I go to each Master server and try to update the client information,
> I have to wait for gui screen refreshes and it gets to be a real pain.
>=20
> Is there a file on the Master that I can edit to update the clients all
> at once?
>=20
> I know that I can use bpadm, but that is getting to be a typing exercise
> also.

You can use the bpplclients command to change client info in a policy.
All you need to do is script what policies a client is in and then set
the client info. A rough example would be:

# to get a list of policies that a client is in
bppllist -byclient client | gawk '/^CLASS/{print $2}'

# for each policy from the previous command, update the client
bpplclients policy -modify client -hardware hardware -os os
(e.g. bpplclients some policy -modify client -hardware Solaris -os Solaris8=
 )

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com