Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Annonying strangness in Vault catalog backup vs multiple media ty pes

2004-11-09 14:17:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Annonying strangness in Vault catalog backup vs multiple media ty pes
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:17:03 -0600
On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:03:11AM -0700 or thereabouts, Mark.Donaldson AT cexp
DOT com wrote:
> We're starting to make a transition from LTO to LTO2.  During this
> transition, we're loaded both hcart & hcart2 media in the library.  Right
> now, there's 300 LTO2 in-library tapes defined as hcart2 media but there's
> no LTO-2 drives in the library.   There's also no configuration, storage
> units, tpconfig, or anything else defined for hcart2 in Netbackup's configs.
> The only hcart2 references are just the media in the vmquery output.
>
> When the catalog backup occurs as part of our vaulting process, it's
> grabbing a new hcart2 media from the scratch pool (I guess since it's nice
> and new with zero mounts & in the scratchpool) and attempting to use it for
> the catalog backup.  It's then erroring out with an error 98:

Mark-

What is the "robotic volume group" associated with this vault?
Based on your description, I would expect it's the same volume
group associated with 004401.

Given that a given NBU volume group can only contain one type
of media, the "robotic volume group" is the way that vault
is supposed to know which media type should be used for the
catalog backup.

HTH
rob