Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Annonying strangness in Vault catalog backup vs multiple media ty pes

2004-11-09 13:03:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Annonying strangness in Vault catalog backup vs multiple media ty pes
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:03:11 -0700
We're starting to make a transition from LTO to LTO2.  During this
transition, we're loaded both hcart & hcart2 media in the library.  Right
now, there's 300 LTO2 in-library tapes defined as hcart2 media but there's
no LTO-2 drives in the library.   There's also no configuration, storage
units, tpconfig, or anything else defined for hcart2 in Netbackup's configs.
The only hcart2 references are just the media in the vmquery output.

When the catalog backup occurs as part of our vaulting process, it's
grabbing a new hcart2 media from the scratch pool (I guess since it's nice
and new with zero mounts & in the scratchpool) and attempting to use it for
the catalog backup.  It's then erroring out with an error 98:

-Error bpbackupdb (pid=1424) load of mediaid 004401 failed, error requesting
media (tpreq)
-mounting 004401
-Error bptm (pid-1426) error requesting media, TpErrorno = Requested number
of drives are not configured
-end DB Backup; elapsed time 0:00:02
-Error bpbackupdb (pid=1424) NB database backup to mediaid 004401 FAILED
error requesting meida (tpreq) (98)

Well, duh - of course it can't use 004401 (an LTO2 tape) since there's no
defined hcart2 drive but why is it attempting in the first place?  Neither
the command-line bpbackupdb nor the Vault GUI front-end allows the choice of
a storage unit or volume group for this backup.  The best I can seem to do
is define a media server which, theoretically, could affect media choice
(albeit a poor method) but it's clear from the current setup & current
errors that the media server's associated tpconfig settings aren't used
either.

As a general complaint, why should I take a more-valuable LTO-2 tape out of
the library for offsites when the catalog would fit fine on an LTO?  Even if
I later start to duplicate my offsite data to LTO-2 for density reasons, the
catalog should go out on LTO just for economic reasons - it's dinky compared
to the data.

While the correct fix would be to allow the definition of a storage unit for
the catalog backup, has anybody seen this and/or figured-out a work-around?

-M

  There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
  those that know binary, and those that don't.
  Mark Donaldson - SA - Corporate Express