Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Documentation Procedure Full system restore

2004-11-08 21:22:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Documentation Procedure Full system restore
From: jeffm AT nicusa DOT com (Jeff McCombs)
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:22:11 -0500

--B_3182793733_3959589

Doing a bare metal recovery w/o BMR is tough, though there are a few
options.=20

 What we do for this kind of thing is utilize a Jumpstart system. There=B9s a
server dedicated specifically to jumpstarting an OS, though you don=B9t need =
specific one =AD any box with NFS server, bootp and tftp will do.

 Basically, with a jumpstart+JASS combination we have profiles setup for th=
various types of servers on our network. Web, application, database, mail,
etc. Each of these profiles provide the bare minimum # of packages needed
for the system to perform whatever it=B9s function is. You could do this with
a user, developer, oem, or full =B3clusteR=B2 install too.

 If we have a disk failure and the mirrors aren=B9t working (or there isn=B9t
one) we can boot from the network, and Jumpstart/JASS will handle everythin=
else. It=B9s a simple matter to pull down your server-specific code/app/data
from netbackup at that point.

 We=B9ve got web servers down to about a 30 minute install, and that includes
the netbackup packages so we can pull site specific data back from tape.

 Also, in theory you could create a flash archive of a base-OS install with
the netbackup client software. Just enough in the flar to get you up and
running. I haven=B9t experimented with this enough to say that it works well,
but it=B9s doable. I don=B9t know how well/if it will work in OS revs prior to
9.

 One of the other people responding to this already talked about mirrors.
And that=B9s an even better deal if you=B9ve got a spare disk in your system.

-jeff

On 11/1/04 7:25 PM, "Ra pa" <kpr_faq AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:

> Hi Guru's
> I am new to Netbackup.We are testing our VERITAS NETBACK ENTERPRISE SERVE=
R 5.0
> MP3.I am trying to work out the best procedure to recover an entire syste=
> including the Operating Environment (Solaris 2.6 or 8) when the backups a=
re on
> Veritas NetBackup tapes. Before move to production i have to test some fu=
ll
> restore.Was wondering if anyone has a complete step by step detailed Docu=
ment
> procedure to perform a full system restore.If you do have please Guide me=
.
> =20
> Thanks in advance
> KPR
>=20
> Do you Yahoo!?
>  Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.  www.yahoo.com

--B_3182793733_3959589

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Veritas-bu] Documentation Procedure Full system restore</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Doing=
 a bare metal recovery w/o BMR is tough, though there are a few options. <BR=

<BR>
&nbsp;What we do for this kind of thing is utilize a Jumpstart system. Ther=
e&#8217;s a server dedicated specifically to jumpstarting an OS, though you =
don&#8217;t need a specific one &#8211; any box with NFS server, bootp and t=
ftp will do.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;Basically, with a jumpstart+JASS combination we have profiles setup f=
or the various types of servers on our network. Web, application, database, =
mail, etc. Each of these profiles provide the bare minimum # of packages nee=
ded for the system to perform whatever it&#8217;s function is. You could do =
this with a user, developer, oem, or full &#8220;clusteR&#8221; install too.=
 <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;If we have a disk failure and the mirrors aren&#8217;t working (or th=
ere isn&#8217;t one) we can boot from the network, and Jumpstart/JASS will h=
andle everything else. It&#8217;s a simple matter to pull down your server-s=
pecific code/app/data from netbackup at that point.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;We&#8217;ve got web servers down to about a 30 minute install, and th=
at includes the netbackup packages so we can pull site specific data back fr=
om tape. <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;Also, in theory you could create a flash archive of a base-OS install=
 with the netbackup client software. Just enough in the flar to get you up a=
nd running. I haven&#8217;t experimented with this enough to say that it wor=
ks well, but it&#8217;s doable. I don&#8217;t know how well/if it will work =
in OS revs prior to 9.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;One of the other people responding to this already talked about mirro=
rs. And that&#8217;s an even better deal if you&#8217;ve got a spare disk in=
 your system.<BR>
<BR>
-jeff<BR>
<BR>
On 11/1/04 7:25 PM, &quot;Ra pa&quot; &lt;kpr_faq AT yahoo DOT com&gt;
wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYL=
E=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Hi Guru's<BR>
I am new to Netbackup.We are testing our VERITAS NETBACK ENTERPRISE SERVER =
5.0 MP3.I am trying to work out the best procedure to recover an entire syst=
em including the Operating Environment (Solaris 2.6 or 8) when the backups a=
re on Veritas NetBackup tapes. Before move to production i have to test some=
 full restore.Was wondering if anyone has a complete step by step detailed D=
ocument procedure to perform a full system restore.If you do have please Gui=
de me. <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Thanks in advance<BR>
KPR<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"1" WIDTH=3D"100%">Do you Yahoo!?<BR>
&nbsp;Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page. &nbsp;www.yahoo.com<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STY=
LE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>