Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Documentation Procedure Full system restore

2004-11-08 10:25:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Documentation Procedure Full system restore
From: dshauver AT laurustech DOT com (Dan Shauver)
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:25:41 -0600
Ra pa wrote:

> Hi Guru's
> I am new to Netbackup.We are testing our VERITAS NETBACK ENTERPRISE
> SERVER 5.0 MP3.I am trying to work out the best procedure to recover
> an entire system including the Operating Environment (Solaris 2.6 or
> 8) when the backups are on Veritas NetBackup tapes. Before move to
> production i have to test some full restore.Was wondering if anyone
> has a complete step by step detailed Document procedure to perform a
> full system restore.If you do have please Guide me.
>
> Thanks in advance
> KPR

I've done this on many a Solaris box.  The procedure I'll outline
requires two disks that can be used by the Solaris system as boots disks.

Assumptions:

Solaris system with 2 boot-capable disks (disk1, disk2)
Hardware is exact duplicate of system being restored.

1) Install Solaris onto disk1.  Pick the end-user distribution, and
accept default configuration.  This installation will not be permanent.
2) Configure necessary services (network, for example)
3) Install and configure the Veritas NetBackup client.
4) Format disk2 to be as close to identical to the system to be restored
as possible.
5) Create all required filesystems on disk2 (examples might be /, /var,
/usr, /opt)
6) Mount filesystems from disk2 under /a (or /mnt, or whatever).  A df
-k might look something like this:
        $ df -k
        Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
        /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0    74617857 23692717 50178962    33%    /
        /proc                      0       0       0     0%    /proc
        mnttab                     0       0       0     0%    /etc/mnttab
        fd                         0       0       0     0%    /dev/fd
        swap                 2804120      96 2804024     1%    /var/run
        swap                 2806976    2952 2804024     1%    /tmp
        /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0    1234 1234 1234    0%    /a
        /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3    1234 1234 1234    0%    /a/usr
        /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s4    1234 1234 1234    0%    /a/var
7) Start the Veritas NetBackup client, and select everything for restore.
8) Chose to restore everything to a different location (in this case, /a
will be the new location)
9) Make sure that "Rename Hard Links" is selected, and "Rename Soft
Links" is not.
10) Start the restore
11) When the restore is finished, make any modifications to the system
on disk2 that might be necessary.  These modifications might include
removing disksuite or vxvm mirroring of the boot drives, changing
/a/etc/vfstab to reference the proper disks for filesystem mounts, etc.
12) Boot from disk2.  System should come up appropriately as the
restored system.
13) Re-mirror the boot drives, assuming they were originally mirrored.

Dan Shauver
System Engineer, Laurus Technologies