Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows File / Print and SSO

2004-11-04 10:21:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows File / Print and SSO
From: SWINEMAN AT salliemae DOT com (STEVEN WINEMAN)
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:21:56 -0500

--=__PartEECE2804.0__=

You should be able to improve your i/o using the media server option
apposed  to GigE, also you are absolutely correct about your
multiplexing, six is pretty high and restores will suck. I would try a
vaule of 4.
Steve

>>> "Hart, Charles" <charles.hart AT medtronic DOT com> 11/03/04 10:28AM >>>
Was wondering what people thoughts are using SSO on Windows file /
print server.  We have setup quite a few Winnows File servers with the
SSO option and not seeing the real benefit.  Our environment is using a
Sunv480 as the master / media SAN attached  9940B Drives in a STK L700
Library.  What we have seen  variable backup through put from 10-25MBs a
second using Multithread and Multiplex, and restores of Windows file
servers at 1-4MBs (most likely due to a multiplex setting of 6)

I have done some initial testing backing up Windows file server via a
GigE connection, which to this point equals the throughput from the SSO
configs but with out the complexity or futtsyness of the SSO on Windows.
 In my mind it seems that SSO is great for DB and E-Mail servers, but I
don't see the value using SSO on Windows file servers.

Anyone have any input or thoughts?

Thanks a bunch!

Charles

This E-Mail has been scanned for viruses.

--=__PartEECE2804.0__=

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4937.800" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV>You should be able to improve your i/o using the media server=20
option&nbsp;apposed &nbsp;to GigE, also you are absolutely correct about =
your=20
multiplexing, six is pretty high and restores will suck. I would try a =
vaule of=20
4.</DIV>
<DIV>Steve&nbsp;<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; "Hart, Charles"=20
&lt;charles.hart AT medtronic DOT com&gt; 11/03/04 10:28AM
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>Was=20
wondering what people thoughts are using SSO on Windows file / print=20
server.&nbsp; We have setup quite a few Winnows File servers with the SSO =
option=20
and not seeing the real benefit.&nbsp; Our environment is using a Sunv480 =
as the=20
master / media SAN attached&nbsp; 9940B Drives in a STK L700 Library.&nbsp;=
 What=20
we have seen&nbsp; variable backup through put from 10-25MBs a second =
using=20
Multithread and Multiplex, and restores of Windows file servers at 1-4MBs =
(most=20
likely due to a multiplex setting of 6)<BR><BR>I have done some initial =
testing=20
backing up Windows file server via a GigE connection, which to this point =
equals=20
the throughput from the SSO configs but with out the complexity or =
futtsyness of=20
the SSO on Windows.&nbsp; In my mind it seems that SSO is great for DB =
and=20
E-Mail servers, but I don't see the value using SSO on Windows file=20
servers.<BR><BR>Anyone have any input or thoughts?<BR><BR>Thanks a=20
bunch!<BR><BR>Charles=20
tas-bu=20
maillist&nbsp; -&nbsp; Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu";>http://m=
ailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu</A><BR><BR>This=20
E-Mail has been scanned for viruses.<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=__PartEECE2804.0__=--