Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows File / Print and SSO

2004-11-03 10:28:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows File / Print and SSO
From: charles.hart AT medtronic DOT com (Hart, Charles)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:28:31 -0600
Was wondering what people thoughts are using SSO on Windows file / print
server.  We have setup quite a few Winnows File servers with the SSO option and
not seeing the real benefit.  Our environment is using a Sunv480 as the master
/ media SAN attached  9940B Drives in a STK L700 Library.  What we have seen
variable backup through put from 10-25MBs a second using Multithread and
Multiplex, and restores of Windows file servers at 1-4MBs (most likely due to a
multiplex setting of 6)

I have done some initial testing backing up Windows file server via a GigE
connection, which to this point equals the throughput from the SSO configs but
with out the complexity or futtsyness of the SSO on Windows.  In my mind it
seems that SSO is great for DB and E-Mail servers, but I don't see the value
using SSO on Windows file servers.

Anyone have any input or thoughts?

Thanks a bunch!

Charles