Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Backups/Restores failing with Windows 2003 server

2004-10-21 07:53:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Backups/Restores failing with Windows 2003 server
From: kdeems AT parker DOT com (kdeems AT parker DOT com)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:53:41 -0400

Here are the registry changes we made to make our 2003 media servers run
with no errors.  We run 4.5 FP3 with a Qlogic card and 9840 tape drives.

Under the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services key you should have the
following subkey.

    STK9840
Add the following REG_DWORD value:
AutoRun. Set it to 0.

KEY: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ql2200
VALUE NAME: AutoRunAlwaysDisable
VALUE TYPE: REG_SZ
VALUE DATA: The first 8 characters are the Vendor ID. If the Vendor ID is
less than 8 character than pad with spaces. The second 16 characters are
the Product ID. If the Product ID is less than 16 characters then pad with
spaces.

AutoRunAlwaysDisable="STK     9840            "

             "Payne, Scott"
             <Scott.Payne@choa
             .org>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu>
             veritas-bu-admin@                                          cc
             mailman.eng.aubur
             n.edu                                                 Subject
                                       [Veritas-bu] RE: Backups/Restores
                                       failing with Windows 2003 server
             10/20/2004 02:31
             PM

Evidently there continues to be a known bug with RSM and the best way to
fix it is to hack the registry.  Don't know if this is what is causing
your problem, but when I talked to a veritas tech last week, this is one
of the first things he had me check when I told him that I had a 2003
media server.

SYMPTOMS
Your Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computer may not perform backup
jobs to tape devices on a Storage Area Network (SAN).

CAUSE
This issue may occur when a conflict exists between Plug and Play and
another process on your computer. To check the status of a backup
device, Plug and Play sends a TEST UNIT READY request to the device
every second. This request may conflict with other operations on your
computer.

Here is a link to the technet article explaining how to do it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;842411