Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Changing Master Server Hostname

2004-10-19 15:38:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Changing Master Server Hostname
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:38:05 -0500
On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:55:47AM -0700, Jerry wrote:
> I've been told "don't do this" by Veritas as well as
> by numerous people on this list.

It can be done but it's non-trivial.  We did a simultaneous migration of
Windows to Solaris changing host names along the way.  It took us a
couple of tries and it's not for the faint of heart.  If you're
comfortable doing hex dumps of the data files, writing some perl, and
have a good knowledge of data structures, you can figure it out.  If
you're not comfortable doing that, then changing host names is not for
you.  I wouldn't even think about it if your master server is on
Windows - most of the work in our migration was done on the target, not
the source.

> I think it's a load
> of garbage that they tied it to the hostname so
> tightly.

It's certainly a bad design decision and one that I hopefully will
see changed in an upcoming release.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org