Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backups to disk

2004-10-15 00:18:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backups to disk
From: pcd AT xinupro DOT com (Peter DrakeUnderkoffler)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:18:14 -0400
Sto Rage© wrote:

>We have a lot of ATABoy and ATABeast units. But none of them are being
>used with Veritas for disk backups. We use them for online archives.
>We think Veritas's backup to disk is an inefficient solution.
>
>-G
>

>On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:32:02 -0400, dyankowski AT cits.canon DOT com
><dyankowski AT cits.canon DOT com> wrote:
>

>>Anyone every use a Nexsan ATABoy with Veritas?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Dan

G,

You have to amuse us and explain why you and your company think
disk based backups are an inefficient solution.  Why do you have
that conclusion?  Is it inefficient for your company or in general?

I have implemented disk based backups from 3.4 on up.  Version 4.5
with vault allowed for some management of the disk storage unit
and now staging with 5.x has worked as advertised allowing
for greater flexibility in a backup architectures.

As far as the ATABoy, I have no experience.  I have used several
other SATA RAID solutions with NetBackup.  All have worked,
but the strength of the underlying storage hardware has varied which
does effect performance down the line.

Thanks
Peter DrakeUnderkoffler