Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How Many Media Servers?

2004-10-08 11:10:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How Many Media Servers?
From: gary.andresen AT pnwdata DOT com (Gary Andresen)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:10:27 -0700
Remember by Veritas definition 'SAN media server' can only back up to its
own devices and no other client can use this server for backup (this is
enforced by licensing starting in NBU 5.0). A media server can be on a SAN
but allows multiple clients to backup to its devices.

You may ask folks how many clients per media server they run and size from
that. I've see 500 - 1000 clients per media server. So the master server
will have a few processes running for any particular client backup so 8
media server time 500 clients could in theory have 4000 jobs running on the
master server (mileage will vary greatly because of multiplexing, not all
backups occur at same time etc.). A master server with 17 SAN media servers
is really only 17 clients.

Gary Andresen
Impossible Happens, Plan Ahead
Pacific Northwest Data Inc.