Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] large environment question -- HP/UX + SAN + Oracle

2004-10-07 16:09:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] large environment question -- HP/UX + SAN + Oracle
From: CBallowe AT usg DOT com (Ballowe, Charles)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:09:43 -0600
I've just been asked for my opinion on some integration issues for a
much larger environment than I currently deal with. The people doing the
design work have been presented with options and opinions that seem to
differ between HP sales, Veritas sales and Veritas consulting.

There environment will be large oracle databases on an HP XP1024 SAN.
They wish to use the "Business Copy" functionality with RMAN proxy and
Veritas Advanced Client to do the backups. The systems will be running
oracle in RAC mode, using raw disk devices.

I think what they are unsure of is whether RMAN proxy can work with HP's
LVM to do the management of the business copy - or if they need to
upgrade to HP's CVM. LVM and CVM are aparently "lite" versions of VxVM
and VxVM CFS.

Has anybody seen similar environments and care to comment?

-Charlie