Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] File Exclusions

2004-09-21 17:03:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] File Exclusions
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:03:59 -0500
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 01:23:57PM -0700, Darren Dunham wrote:
> > This isn't a new feature, ladies and gentlemen; it's a (documented after
> > the fact) bug.  :-(
>
> It's a bug if they didn't intend it to happen and are working to remove
> it.  There's no sign that they're working to change this.

The issue is "they".  The developers intended for this to happen and
there are no plans to revert to the original syntax.  I'm not convinced
that the product managers understood the impact of the change or if they
even knew somebody snuck it in.  They did decide to leave the change in
after they were informed about it - I can see that pingponging a change
in and out and then back in again would also not be amusing to the
customer base.  After all, if we believe the developers, the change had
to go in eventually.

It was done for performance reasons.  That means that it could have
waited until the next major release and it should have been properly
documented in the release notes.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org