Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU History

2004-09-13 12:43:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU History
From: Jeffrey_Dykzeul AT raytheon DOT com (Jeffrey Dykzeul)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:43:00 -0700

I excavated some notes I took during an NBU class in 2001. According to the
instructor:

******* start *******
In 1990 Chrysler contracted with Control Data to develop a backup product.
The result was AWBUS (Automated Workstation Backup Utility System). This
product was all command line driven and eventually became known as two
entities:

      BackupPlus
      VolumeManager

BackupPlus morphed into NetBackup, but many commands retained the "bp"
prefix. VolumeManager morphed into Media Manager, but many commands
retained prefixes such as "vp" and "tp".

In 1993 the product was sold to OpenVision, which starting developing the X
window interfaces. In fact, the main directory for the product is still
/usr/openv. OpenVision changed the "BackupPlus" name to "NetBackup".

In 1996 Veritas bought OpenVision and renamed "VolumeManager" to "Media
Manager" because they already had a product named "Volume Manager" (which
is used for creating logical volumes from hard disks).
******* end *******

jd

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com     |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng|
|         |           .auburn.edu                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           13/09/2004 08:55            |

  |        To:      GreenbergKA AT aetna DOT com, jdezan AT diveo.net DOT br,
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu                  |
  |        cc:
                                   |
  |        Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] NBU History

Personally, I'd believe Bonnie Kate before I'd believe me.