Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tapes not being reused after '96' error?

2004-09-01 13:57:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tapes not being reused after '96' error?
From: thoke AT northpeak DOT com (Tim Hoke)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:57:31 -0500 (CDT)
How soon after the 96 are you re-running the job?

If it's less than 12 hours, then the previous tapes haven't been "expired"
from the mediaDB and deassigned from the volDB, therefore, they aren't
available.

If you run a bpmedialist/available_media, you'd see the tapes listed as
FULL.

The problem is that NBU doesn't cleanup those tapes right away.  By
default, there's a process that runs every 12 hours (it's random, not
midnight and noon) where empty tapes are deassigned.

You can force this to happen by running 'bpexpdate -deassignempty'.  But,
be warned that this processing could take a bit of time if you have a
large environment (images/media).

Oh, I should add that I'm assuming no other images were written to these
same 9 tapes.  I.e. there aren't any valid images left on the tapes once
the job failed.

Could you make use of checkpoint restart for backups?  That's a 5.x
feature and should then pickup from where the 96 occurred (or at the last
checkpoint anyway).

HTH
-Tim