Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] define cleaning tape

2004-08-27 20:49:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] define cleaning tape
From: dritschel62 AT yahoo DOT com (Douglas Ritschel)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:49:43 -0700 (PDT)
There are two options. One is to let the tape library
control cleaning of the drives. Libraries usually have
a slot or slots dedicated to cleaning tapes. Need to
make sure that tape has the correct cleaning label on
it. For example if the drive is an SDLT, the label
will have an S on it. This keeps the library from
When a drive needs to be cleaned, the library
automatically loads the cleaning tape. The library may
load a cleaing tape into a drive without NetBackup
knowing about it. If so, NetBackup might think  the
drive is available, try to load a tape, and end up
downing the drive because of a collision.

The other option is to let NetBackup clean the drives.
This is done by creating a barcode rule such as "CL0"
that tells NetBackup what cleaning-density tapes that
have labels starting with "CLO" are and putting them
into the "NONE" Volume Pool. Then, for each drive, you
tell it how long to go between cleanings. If a drive
needs to be cleaned before it has been used for the
designated number of hours, some libraries support
Tape Alert, where the drive will send a request to
NetBackup to clean the drive. If Tape Alert is not
supported, a manual cleaning will need to be done.

Can also use the tpclean command to claen drives and
set cleaning frequency.

"tpclean -L |-C drive_name|-M drive_name|-F drive_name
clean_frequency"

--- Jason Helfman <jason.helfman AT ticketmaster DOT com>