Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re-introduction of media without barcode reader

2004-08-25 12:58:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re-introduction of media without barcode reader
From: tstockto2000 AT yahoo.co DOT uk (Tim Stockton)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:58:52 +0100 (BST)
--0-921918430-1093453132=:88001

Hi,
I have a strange problem here, I am not a stranger to Veritas NBU and I have
looked into this problem (checked all the mailing list archives/google.asked
anyone who would listen...) and I am getting nowhere fast. All help appreciated.

Situation:
I have a L8 (LTO2 drive) with no barcode reader.
The NetBackup server in question is locally connected to the tape drive - the
master and media server are on the same server.
We have a requirement for offsite backups.

Problem:
When a tape comes back from the offsite store we need to add this tape back
into the L8 (no problems there) and then reintroduce into NetBackup. We have a
current work around whereby the tape is deleted and expired using the following
commands:-

bpexpdate -ev [MEDIAID] -d 0
vmdelete -m [MEDIAID]

We are then able to re-add that same tape back into NetBackup by telling NBU
what robot/tape type and slot to use and what MEDIAID and pool to use.

vmadd -m {MEDIAID} -mt hcart -rc1 [SLOTNO] -rt tld -p [POOLNO] -d [MEDIAID]

Simply, what we need to do is be able to change the tapes in the L8 and use a
command to tell NBU to find a MEDIAID (that it has in it's catalog) in slot
number x in the L8. After much searching we have tried:-

vmchange -res -m [mediaID] -mt HCART -rn 0 -rc1 4 -rt tld

The command completes (show no error to stdout or to my bptm logs) but the
MEDIA ID that I try to load does not ever appear in available_media. Is the
above command correct?

What I am aiming for is the command(s) similar to the above so I can
re-introduce a tape the already exists in the media catalog by telling NBU that
the tape that has just come back from the offsite store is in slot number x in
the drive. Much in the same way that can be done via the Java GUI on a system
that has a barcode reader.

I hope that the above makes sense (it did to me sometime ago and now my head
hurts...)

Thanks in advance
Tim

---------------------------------
--0-921918430-1093453132=:88001

<DIV>
<DIV>Hi,</DIV>
<DIV>I have a strange problem here, I am not a stranger to Veritas NBU&nbsp;and
I have looked into this problem (checked all the mailing list
archives/google.asked anyone who would listen...) and I am getting nowhere
fast. All help appreciated.</DIV>
<DIV><BR>Situation:</DIV>
<DIV>I have a L8 (LTO2 drive) with no barcode reader.</DIV>
<DIV>The NetBackup server in question is locally connected to the tape drive -
the master and media server are on the same server.</DIV>
<DIV>We have a requirement for offsite backups.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Problem:</DIV>
<DIV>When a tape comes back from the offsite store we need to add this tape
back into the L8 (no problems there) and then reintroduce into NetBackup. We
have a current work around whereby the tape is deleted and expired using the
following commands:-</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>bpexpdate -ev [MEDIAID] -d 0<BR>vmdelete -m [MEDIAID]</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We are then able to re-add that same tape back into NetBackup by telling
NBU what robot/tape type and slot to use and what MEDIAID and pool to use.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>vmadd -m {MEDIAID} -mt hcart -rc1 [SLOTNO] -rt tld -p [POOLNO] -d
[MEDIAID]</DIV>
<DIV><BR>Simply, what we need to do is be able to change the tapes in the L8
and use a command to tell NBU to find a MEDIAID (that it has in it's catalog)
in slot number x in the L8. After much searching we have tried:-</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>vmchange -res -m [mediaID] -mt HCART -rn 0 -rc1 4 -rt tld</DIV>
<DIV><BR>The command completes (show no error to stdout or to my bptm logs) but
the MEDIA ID that I try to load does not ever appear in available_media. Is the
above command correct? </DIV>
<DIV><BR>What I am aiming for is the command(s) similar to the above so I can
re-introduce a tape the already exists in the media catalog by telling NBU that
the tape that has just come back from the offsite store is in slot number x in
the drive. Much in the same way that can be done via the Java GUI on a system
that has a barcode reader.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I hope that the above makes sense (it did to me sometime ago and now my
head hurts...)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks in advance</DIV>
<DIV>Tim</DIV></DIV><p>
                <hr size=1> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif"><a
href="http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21626/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com";><strong><font
 face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">ALL-NEW
sans-serif"><strong>
color="#FF9900">
--0-921918430-1093453132=:88001--