Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO Barcode rules [Driving me round the bend!]

2004-08-25 07:32:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO Barcode rules [Driving me round the bend!]
From: Penelope.Carr AT veritas DOT com (Penelope Carr)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:32:53 -0400
I correct myself.  I am assuming you are at 4.5, here is what the Admin
Guide states:

Media ID Generation
MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS = robot_num barcode_length media_ID_rule

Note To use this entry, the robot must support barcodes and the robot type
cannot be one
of the API robots.

If this entry is specified in vm.conf, it controls Media Manager media ID
generation. This
entry is read and interpreted on the host where vmcheckxxx and vmupdate are
running
as part of the robot inventory operation.
You choose how media IDs are created by defining rules that specify which
characters of a
barcode on tape will be used. You also can specify alphanumeric characters
to be inserted
in the ID.

Multiple media ID creation entries can be specified, allowing media ID
generation to be
specific for each robot; or for each barcode format having different numbers
of characters
in the barcode. This allows flexibility for multi-media.
If MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS entries are not present in vm.conf or you enter an
invalid entry, Media Manager uses the right-most (the last) six characters
of the barcode to
create its media ID as the default.
robot_num is the robot number.
barcode_length is the length of the barcode.
Appendix A, Media Manager Reference Topics
Media Manager Configuration File (vm.conf)
289

A media_ID_rule consists of a maximum of six fields delimited by colons.
Numbers in the
fields of the rule define the positions of the characters in the barcode
that are to be
extracted (numbering is from the left). For example, 2 in a field extracts
the second
character from the barcode. The numbers can be specified in any order.
Characters prefixed by # in a field, result in that character being inserted
in that position in
the generated ID. Any alphanumeric characters that are specified must be
valid for a
media ID. You can use rules to create media IDs of many varied formats, but
keep in mind
that the difference in the label on the media and the generated media ID may
make it
difficult to manage your media. The following is an example rule and the
resulting
generated media ID:
Barcode on the tape: 032945L1
Media ID rule: #N:2:3:4:5:6
Generated media ID: N32945
Also see "Media ID Generation Rules" on page 262.

I hope this helps.

Penelope