Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] hostname returning Fully Qualified Domain Name (long-name)

2004-08-18 10:05:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] hostname returning Fully Qualified Domain Name (long-name)
From: dritschel62 AT yahoo DOT com (Douglas Ritschel)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:05:11 -0700 (PDT)
When installing NetBackup, I normally use the
shortname for all machines during the installation
process. Yesterday, I installed a new Master and SAN
Media Server. The hostname command on the machines
returned the Fully Qualified names of the machines
(although the hosts file was set to "ip short-name
long-name"). When I ran the Device wizard to detect
the shared drives on the Master and SAN Media Server,
Netbackup added the drives for the SAN Media Server
using the the long-name.

Does any one know if this will cause problems in the
future?

Is it normal for the hostname command to return the
FQDN? Should I have installed NetBackup using FQDNs in
this environment?