Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Migrating from Legato to Netbackup

2004-08-17 17:10:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Migrating from Legato to Netbackup
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:10:32 -0500
On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 04:54:31PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:

> I really dislike
> NetBackup and how hard it is to get useful information out of it.

NetBackup does some things really well and some things it just sucks at.
Reporting definitely falls into the latter.  You need to look at a 3rd
party tool to give you good reporting.  My personal preference is
Aptare's StorageConsole - http://www.aptare.com.

> And with the problems we're having restoring NDMP backups from our
> NetApps this week, I'm even more upset with Veritas.

And I very clearly remember a case at my last job where Legato put crap
to tape for our Exchange servers.  Nice and quiet about it too until we
had to restore and found our data unrecoverable.

Unfortunately no backup package is perfect and all software has bugs.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org