Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up a Microsoft Cluster

2004-08-04 13:51:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up a Microsoft Cluster
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:51:13 -0500
On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:30:21AM -0400, Marx, Keath wrote:
> I have a file cluster I am working with.  One of the things I am trying to
> avoid is redundant data backup like we had with a previous product.
> Basically you configured the backup software on both nodes as if they were
> separate machines.

What you do is assign an IP address to a virtual server on your Windows
cluster.  You then back up the drives by the virtual server name.  As
the drive flops between nodes, NetBackup keeps on ticking and you don't
need to worry about which node it happened to be on at the time the disk
was backed up.

You can not use the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive in this case since you
may have multiple disk groups on each node that flop around
independently of each other.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org