Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master/media server name change

2004-08-02 16:41:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master/media server name change
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:41:30 -0500
On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 02:42:04PM -0500, David Rock wrote:
> Changing the Master server's name is something that will likely require
> Professional services. The master's name is so pervasive (invasive?)
> that there is no good way to do it as an end user.

It can be done, but it's definitely not trivial.  We did it, and not
only did we change the master's name, but we migrated from Windows to
Solaris at the same time.  It was ugly and it took us a few stabs at it
before it worked.  There are lovely issues like line termination...

This is not a trivial task nor should it be undertaken by somebody who's
afraid to write shell scripts, do binary and string dumps, and figure
things out.  There is not a step-by-step guide on how to do this.
I'm sure that even Veritas Professional Services would undertake a
Windows to Solaris master server migration.

I'd guess that if you're good enough to make it work, you're good enough
to figure it out yourself.  Not a nice answer I know...

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org