Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup vs. Tivoli Storage Manager

2004-08-01 03:58:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup vs. Tivoli Storage Manager
From: ida3248b AT post.cybercity DOT dk (ida3248b AT post.cybercity DOT dk)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 09:58:26 +0200
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:13:42 -0400, Len Boyle wrote
> Hello Michael
>
> Some of your points against TSM are a little off:
> Both products have stong and weak points and both products are
> getting better. But both have room for growth. With both the
> mailings list are a required must read to the best job.
>
> 1) It is hard to do a restore from the server with TSM, but you can
> define a scheduled tasked to do a restore. But the product is set up
> more in mind with the restore being done from the client end of
> things, This can be via a web interface to the client.  On unix is
> set up so that one can restore one's own files without being root.
> Redirected restores are easier from the client end with TSM, harder
> with netbackup without the need to be root on the server.
In Netbackup you will just on the server specify a different destination
client.

> 2) Yes there can only be one schedule session running on a TSM
> client name at a time. Of course this does not mean that you can not
> have multiple scheduled events per client just that only one can run
> at a time.   But that session can be multi-threaded, so you can do
> multiple filespaces at once. Like netbackup sometimes the product
> takes some work, to work around it's basics. On the adsm-l mailing
> list some folks have reported that one way to work around this is to
> have two or more node names pointing to the same client, each with
> it's  schedule. Like stories that I have heard of netbackup folks
> creating multiple jobs for a very large filespaces.
Just this weekend I have had lot calls on my on call duty, because one
incremental backup was hung, all the sap archives failed. In NetBackup only
the incremental would failed.

> 3) I have found that our TSM restores  start faster then our netback
> restores. They used to be very slow in the old days when they would
> send all the restore info down to the client which would have to
> sort the data by media and then request the pieces and parts. Now
> they do the selection from the server and start moving the process
> before it is all finished. Also most TSM sites backup to disk and
> then move the data to tape. So the tapes are not required for the
> backup. So they are available for restores. With netbackup a restore
> has to wait until the tape drive frees up. Which we have found can
> be a very long time with a loaded backup server with tape multiplex
> action. On one server we ended up setting the number of tape drives
> in the storage unit to one less then the number of tape drives to
> hold one for restores. TSM will stop a housekeeping task to free up
> it's tape drives  for a restore.
Actually our NetBackup restores are lot faster than TSM even including
waiting for tape mount.

> 4) I do not understand this statement can you tell us more?
>
> 5) I am an old line mode person so I can not speak much of the tsm
> admin gui web interface. But I find that I can see from the tsm
> server which sessions are running. A little less detail then the
> netbackup backup jobs, but more then the netbackup restore jobs. But
> I can also see the processes running in TSM with some stats. So with
> the catalog backup I can see how many pages it has backed up out of
> how many. And the catalog is a database so it's backup can run with
> other backup server work, as long as one defines enought database
> log space. You can also write sql queries to gather your own reports.
I have tried this, but the TSM database is an amputated DB2, with a very old
SQL. Lot of time you end up write shell scripts anyway to get around the
short-comings for the TSM sql.

> 6,7) The schedule reports only summary status, For the completed
> status they have been adding a little more detail with the return
> codes for a little more detail on how bad things are. But like
> netbackup it is a little hard to tell with the status of a few files
> were not backed up if that is a good error or bad error. Over the
> years they are passing more of the detailed error messages up to the
> server so that you can fetch them from the server log. But the most
> detailed log like netbackup is on the client. The dsmsched.log (you
> can change the filename) without the quiet options lists each file
> processed and what happened with it. The dsmerror.log file should
> receive all the errors. Like netbackup it can sometimes be fun
> trying to figure out what they mean. There are also trace flags that
> can be turned on from the dsm.opt (option file) to turn on very
> detailed logs.
In NetBackup you have a job monitor with different status codes to guide you
to what problem is. And you can create logs for each daemon/process