Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Changing Hostname of a Media Server

2004-07-20 18:51:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Changing Hostname of a Media Server
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:51:47 -0500
--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

* Bauldree, Mike <mike.bauldree AT stratech DOT com> [2004-07-20 15:04]:
> I'm looking for a step-by-step process to change the hostname of the
> media server.
>=20
> Anyone successfully done this before?
>=20
>=20
> If so, what methods did you use?
>=20

Here is some information I got from Veritas to do just that.

-->Hello David,
-->Here are the things regarding a media server that you should be aware of
-->as you plan to change their names.
-->(on the media server)
-->bp.conf
-->vm.conf
-->/etc/hosts
-->Please change all bp.conf entries on other servers or clients that need
-->to talk to this media server. Please check the /etc/hosts files on these
-->servers and clients if they are in use for name resolution.
-->Review storage units, drive and robot configuration for those devices
-->used by the media server.

Also, you will want to move all media that is currently assigned to that
media server to a different server. That way, it doesn't get confused
when it tries to figure out who owns it.

For example:

bpmedia -movedb -m <media_id> -newserver <hostname> [-oldserver <hostname>]

I removed all storage units and storage unit groups that referenced the
old name and then restarted Netbackup and recreated them with the new
name. Don't know if it was necessary, but it worked.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj