Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Moving tapes between pools

2004-07-15 10:29:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Moving tapes between pools
From: bedros.geyoghlian AT sbcglobal DOT net (Bedros Geyoghlian)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 07:29:29 -0700
At 06:46 AM 7/15/2004, Ed Wilts wrote:
>With NBU 5.0MP2 on a Solaris master server, is there a way to move a
>tape with unexpired images from one pool to another?  We're rethinking
>some of our pools and names, and although many of the images will expire
>eventually, some will be many years.

You can't move volumes (tapes) between volume pools as long as they are
assigned (i.e. the Time Assigned field has a time stamp) and the tapes will
remain assigned until all images have expired.  So in general, the answer
to your question is no.

You could theoretically get around this by expiring all images on the
volumes using bpexpdate, moving them to the new pool (making sure backups
don't run as these newly expired volumes would be subject to being
overwritten) and then importing the backups.  However, I think this is more
trouble than it's worth.

HTH.

- Bedros

Bedros R. Geyoghlian                    Mobile: 408.504.3856
Technical Instructor and Consultant     FAX   : 510.372.0128
Geyoghlian & Associates                 bedros.geyoghlian AT sbcglobal DOT net