Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN Media and NDMP ( Comparing Legato vs Veritas )

2004-07-10 08:59:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN Media and NDMP ( Comparing Legato vs Veritas )
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 07:59:34 -0500
On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 11:20:10PM +0900, Rahul Parasnis wrote:
> Does Veritas has no. of stream limitation like Legato has 32 for network
> Edition and 64 for power edition ?

If there's a limitation, I've never seen it.

> Veritas has checkpoint level backup while cloning the tape but does it do
> the same checkpoint level backup while doing backup of client  ?
> While in Legato Cloning is done by server when backuo is finished . and it
> has ability to restart the backup if it fails at the saveset level .

NetBackup does have the checkpoint ability but it's not at the saveset
level - it's time and file based so if you have a single 500GB volume
and you fail 4 days into your backup, you can continue from 15 minutes
back.  The time period is configurable on a per policy basis but you
can't restart half a file - if the backup was a single 500GB file, you'd
be restarting from the beginning.

> 4. As far licensing goes . ( Please correct me if I am wrong )
>
> Veritas license depends on no of drive but does no care about no of slots
> while legato depends on Slots   and does not care about drives .

True for Netbackup.  I don't know about Legato.  Netbackup has multiple
licenses:
        - master server
        - media server
        - SAN media server
        - number of drives
        - shared storage option (multiple SAN hosts sharing the same
          drives)
        - clients
        - Advanced client for special features

> Client license depends on tier level of the client Hardware ( For windows
> depends on no of cpus while for Unix depends on Tier level )

True. Clients, however, are pretty cheap.  Windows hosts are really
tiered too - it's just that the tiers are based on number of cpus.  Tier
1 for a single cpu, tier 2 for 2 cpus, tier 3 for 4 cpus (I think).  I'm
backing up my entire VMScluster with a single Tier 1 VMS license.

> to backup from Unix or windows client you just need Client license

True.  For some features (snapshot, Oracle block level incremental,
flashbackup), you may want the Advanced Client.

> Veritas provides open file license unlimited with Enterprise license ,

True.  It doesn't handle things like Oracle or Exchange though - you
need special options for that.

> Administration GUI is much friendly in Veritas

It's tolerable.  Not great but not too bad either.  I prefer a mix of
command line and GUI with the majority of the work being done in the
command line on our Unix master server.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org