Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Millions of files in one directory

2004-07-08 15:09:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Millions of files in one directory
From: gmackinn AT ford DOT com (MacKinnon, G. R. (Gregory))
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:09:58 -0400
Jason Helfman wrote:

> yeah, on a few occasions i've dealt with this. it would be hard to
> access the system directly in each case.
>
> split up the files into some soft of directory structure.
>

> WILLIAMS, KRISTOPHER L wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> We have a client that is failing because there are too many small
>> files in one directory. There are apprx. 1 ? 2 million files in two
>> different directories that are causing the failures. The system is a
>> Win2k server using NetBackup 5.0, master and media servers are also
>> Win2K with NBU 5.0. Has anyone had this problem and found a good
>> resolution?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Kris

Don't know if it'll work on a window box, but from a discution on this list
a few months ago on the subject:

touch /usr/openv/netbackup/dont_sort_dir

HTH,

Gregg

Gregg MacKinnon                         Ford Motor Co.
gmackinn AT ford DOT com                        2101 Village Rd.
Technical Computing Section             Rm 1116, MD 1076
(313) 594-3716   pager 7958343          Dearborn Michigan, 48124