Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best way to schedule Daily, Weekly, and Monthly backups?

2004-07-07 19:46:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best way to schedule Daily, Weekly, and Monthly backups?
From: rgerlach AT acmi.net DOT au (Roland Gerlach)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:46:56 +1000
Originally we had Daily and Weekly schedules - life was simple.  We used
frequency based backups and had backup windows for Monday through Saturday for
Daily backups and a backup window for Sunday for the Weekly backups.

When we tried to introduce Monthly backups, we setup calender based backups -
Monthly backups occur on the first Sunday of the Month, Weekly backups on the
other Sundays in the Month (Sunday 2, 3, 4 & 5).  Daily backups on Mondays to
Saturdays.  We then noticed that we were getting two backups a night - one
kicked off when the window openned and another occured after midnight.  We then
switched the Daily backups back to Frequency based and things are working
better but I've still got some problems with the calendar based backup (e.g.
unable to use different pools for a MS SQL backup).

I've also read comments that frequency based backups are better than calendar
based.

What's the best way to set up Daily, Weekly, and Monthly backups?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Roland.
--
Tell me and I'll forget, show me and I may remember,
involve me and I'll understand -- Chinese proverb.

This communication contains information which is confidential and the copyright
of the Australian Centre for the Moving Image.
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail please notify the sender
immediately and delete it from your system.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may
not be the views of the Australian Centre for the Moving Image, unless
specifically stated.