Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup Catalogs cases

2004-07-05 22:43:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Catalogs cases
From: ArifB AT excelcom.co DOT id (Arif Budiman)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:43:10 +0700
Dear colleagues,

As we know that netbackup catalogs are very important parts of netbackup
software. A good understanding is absolutly required.
Need your opinion please on these cases :

1. The netbackup catalogs are  :
        Image catalog (in master server)        : File date image_name
media_server
        Media catalog (in media server) : image_name    volumeID
        Volume Catalog (in master server)       : volumeID      robot
slot

   Image_name relates image catalog and media catalog, volumeID relates
media catalog and volume catalog.
   Based on this relationship, if we miss one of the catalogs we can't
do restore.
I have experience on this case. I use NBU 4.5 with 5 media servers. At 1
of the media servers, I reinstall the OS (Win2K), and also NBU. This
Media server's catalogs are not yet recovered  with the catalog backup .
But if I try to restore some image tha were backed up through this media
server, I still can preview the mediaID needed for the restore process.
Even, I still can do restore suceesfully ! Whereas, based on the catalog
relationship, I should not be able to preview the mediaID needed for
restore process, because the media Catalog that contain the image is
missed, it isn't yet be recovered. I should not be able to do restore
too.

2. Does NBU, to do restore, must use same storage unit with the storage
unit used while  backup process ? Can we change? For example, if we
backup a client A using storage unit STU_A, can we restore client A
using storage unit STU_B ?

3. If we can't do restore using different storage unit with the one used
while backup process, I summarize :
        - we must keep all media server lives forever, in order to
restore every image has been backed up through the media server. We can
not remove a media server from NBU Management domain unless we may
possible to lose backed up data.

Regards,
Arif Budiman