Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 5.1 Feature or Rumor? - Backup Fails; then continues from POF

2004-06-30 00:08:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 5.1 Feature or Rumor? - Backup Fails; then continues from POF
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:08:12 -0500
On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 11:40:47AM -0600, Scott Jacobson wrote:
> Can anyone confirm....
>
> Have I read that with 5.1 if a backup fails, you can now resubmit the
> job and if Enterprise sees a failure of that host within the same backup
> window that it will now continue the backup from the POF (point of
> failure) and finish the job?
>
> Would be very handy when backing up a 2 terabyte system that fails 3/4
> of the way into the job.

That's the theory...  we've been working with it with limited success.
With VMS (Standard) policies, it's supposed to work but is seriously
broken.  With large Windows file systems (512GB with 10M files) it fails
to restart as often as it might work and we haven't proven that even the
restart is doing the right stuff.  Certainly, the activity monitor is
showing inconsistent results in the numbers of files in each retry.

Test, test, test...

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org