Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VSP snapshot mystery

2004-06-18 10:04:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VSP snapshot mystery
From: Louis-Luc Le Guerrier <leguerri AT Canr.Hydro.Qc DOT Ca> (Louis-Luc Le Guerrier)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:04:45 -0400 (EDT)
Hello,
I'm running Veritas NetBackup 5.0 under Solaris 9 on the
master server. I have 2 Windows clients, and on both of them
VSP snapshot is installed to take a snapshot of the data
directories to back up before actually doing the backup to
be able to back up open files.

On one Windows client, I back up data from C: and F: drives,
and I have dedicated the K: drive to store VSP cache files
(named .TMP). VSP has been working properly for about 1 month
on both C: and F: drives, but mysteriously since last tuesday
night, the VSP on for data from F: can no longer be enabled.
It simply waits for the VSP cache file delay to expire and
tells VSP cannot be enabled, and then it backs up everything
except the open files. Within the 10-minute delay (set to max
of 600 seconds) there is a 0-byte cache file on the K: drive
that never increases.

With the C: which is working properly, the cache file is
created on K: and its size increases and varies with time and
it's then erased after backup.

Does anyone have any idea why VSP suddenly stopped working
for data on F:, while still working OK for data on C:? On
the second Win2000 client, VSP is working OK as well and data
is located on F:.

Thanks,
Louis-Luc
P.S.: Meanwhile to debug, I'd like to add the -V option
(max. verbose) to the 'bpfis' command on the Windows client,
but I don't know how to modify the parameters that Windows
passes to that command.